Aussie In Seoul

Well here is the deal. I am Australian and just moved to Seoul with my wife to work in a 5 star hotel. I hope to share some of my thoughts and comments over the Years I am here!

Friday, February 03, 2006

Freezing Seoul


One of the long standing jokes in my office every morning this winter is when I come crashing into the office covered 5 times over with clothes crying about how cold it is outside. 90% of the time, reactions are from outright laughing to lectures on the fact that -2 or -3 is not really cold! Can you believe it! They just don't understand that where I grew up where 10 degrees Celsius is cold, or when I lived in Hawaii for 8 years, where cold was 16 degrees Celsius.

Funny enough as the winter has drawn on, I have actually started to feel what is cold or what is really cold. This morning I had a breakthrough..

After stepping onto the road in front of my house I knew it was bloody cold. There was some wind also, and after a minute I actually had tears in my eyes. I quickened to Olympic sprint pace to get out of this cold, but sure enough I was caught at the main road traffic lights! I stood there absolutely dying, and as it appeared around me, so was everyone else. I contemplated crossing 10 lanes of traffic, but luckily that reality side of my brain had not frozen over yet! Finally after what seemed hours, the lights changed and I jogged the last 300 metres to work! As I entered the hotel all I could think of walking into the office, and everyone would be laughing at me complaining about the cold. As I flung open the office door three of them were standing there, they burst out laughing, but all said "its really cold..Yes??!!" Victory! Finally they agree with me... But who wouldn't when one tells me the radio man said that wit the wind chill it is -20 degrees Celsius, or for you Fahrenheit people -3! I went online and checked the weather site and it said -14 Celsius, with wind chill -19.. At 7am.


Have a warmer day!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home